Friday, May 21, 2010

Sara's in the hospital!

Sara woke up with a fever today.  I knew she wasn't feeling great last night when she didn't eat any dinner, plus she's been sleeping a lot this week. 

This morning when I went in to get her she seemed warm to me.  I checked her temp and she was at 100.6 and said she didn't want to get out of bed.  I knew right then something was seriously wrong.  I got in the shower and dressed, which took about 15 min, then checked her temp again.  It was up to 101.4.  I called the doctor's office and they had an opening in 20 min. 

By the time we arrived at the doctor's office, her temp was 102.1 and she was fading fast.  She has had nothing to eat today, and only had 2 or 3 sips of juice.  So basically her oral intake is 0.  The doctor takes urine and blood to check the infection and make sure it hasn't moved to her blood.  We discuss a shot of antibiotics to get her started, then move her to oral.  By the time we drew blood and took urine, her fever was 102.8. 

Two weeks ago when we started this mess, her doctor spoke to her urologist to make sure the treatment was correct.  The notes from the urologist back when we spoke to him two weeks ago said that if she reached a fever of 103 that she was to be taken to the hospital for admission.  We were unable to reach her urologist this time, so we used the notes from 2 weeks ago as our guide.

At that point, the doctor and I both agreed that if we didn't want her sick for the next few weeks we should probably admit her.  So while the doctor called the hospital and set up her admission through the ER, I took Sara home and packed our hospital bags.  I used to be a pro at packing our bags in 15 min or less and not forgetting anything.  This time it took me twice that, and I know I forgot something.  I just haven't figured out what it is yet.  Guess its a good thing that I'm not as proficient as I once was at this; means she hasn't been here in a long time.

So here we are!  I'm writing this from a laptop while sitting in an ER room.  Thank goodness for free Wifi!  My cell phone works as well for any of you who want or need to get a hold of me.  We are waiting for the nurse to come in and start Sara's IV and take more blood and urine samples.  They said we might be in the ER a long time; the hospital is pretty full.  But the team is already working to find her a room.  We're in for at least a couple days, although hopfully not longer.

At this point, Sara's fever is still hovering at 102.6, she isn't eating or drinking at all, and she isn't moving around at all.  Honestly, she's barely concious of what is going on around her.  She doesn't even perk up when the doctor or nurse comes in.  She keeps falling in and out of sleep, if you can call it that, basically its a blank stare or her eyes are closed.  Overall, she isn't doing well.  I'm hoping once we start the IV and get some meds and fluids in her that she'll perk up a bit; at least enough to communicate and talk with us.

I will continue to post updates as information changes, and as often as I can.  My guess is I won't be posting again until we have moved upstairs, and there's no telling how long that could take.


No comments:

Post a Comment