Saturday, March 26, 2011

New Hobby

Sara has been learning about plants and spring at preschool for the last couple weeks.  They started growing pea plants, and she's become obsessed now.  She thinks its totally awesome and wants to now plant a garden. 

I've always wanted to plant a garden since I've lived in this house (8 years now), and just never done it. Life always got in the way.  I have a huge yard, and it has multiple spots that would be perfect for a garden.  So this year I'm taking the plunge!  It should be interesting since I don't exactly have a green thumb, but its something Sara and I can do together.  And who knows, maybe it'll even get Sara to eat veggies if she knows she grew them herself.

Today we planted our seeds in a tray, and then we will transfer the seedlings in to the yard in a couple of months.  I have to prep the yard of course, but its still a little too cold for that.  I decided to try and grow a garden from seeds purely because its cheaper.  Gardening can be really expensive!

Of course I took pics!

This is the plant that started it all.  Its the pea plant that she grew in preschool.


Here are some pics of Sara helping to put the dirt into the cups, followed by the seeds, and then watering them at the end.  It was lots of fun, and messy (my favorite...not)!
There are 50 seedlings in this tray, including bell peppers, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, green beans, pumpkins, carrots, and sunflowers (the really tall ones).  If they all germinate, then I will probably give half the plants away.  But I wanted to have enough chances for some things to grow because I want Sara to be successful trying something new.

Sara also picked out some markers for when the plants go outside.  Of course, they have Mickey Mouse and friends on them!


I also planted in smaller tubs (just for us grown ups) some strawberries and a mini herb garden.  I know that there won't be any strawberries this year, but I've always wanted my own strawberry patch and I figured now is as good a time as any to get it started.

So there you have it, only time will tell if my thumb is green enough to pull this off.  I've never been overly successful at growing anything from seeds, but I got lots of great advice from people that have.  Hopefully I did it right!

And now we wait....

3 comments:

  1. We are getting ready to do the same thing here. Have fun watching them grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! New follower. Love the start on your garden! Can't wait to see it grow~

    ReplyDelete