Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Week 3

Today marks the third week since Sara's surgery!

Sara is doing great!  She has no pain, and life in a half body cast is as good as you would expect it to be.  We've been able to get a good routine going for the simple things in life like, washing hair, brushing hair, brushing teeth, sleeping, and all the routine style things we all take for granted each day.

The hardest part for me is that Sara needs my undivided attention, more than I had assumed she would. Its not surprising at all since she can't walk to get anything herself, or even sit up or switch positions on her own.  Its been really hard to get even the simplest of things done, like laundry, even though I'm home all day.  You add that with no break for either of us because Sara couldn't travel for the last 2 weeks we've been home, and it makes for some really stressful (cry my eyes out) moments.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! I'd do it again if I had to and for however long my baby needed me to.  But its nice to be back to work and at the "beck and call" of someone else.  LOL!


Yesterday we headed over to Sara's school to meet with her care team.  We went over everything Sara will need through out the day, care and supply wise.  We needed to get a plan in place, and then, of course, it had to be written up and signed/approved by all parties.

Sara is very excited to get back to school!  I know she's missed it, and all her friends.  And I know they've all been worried about her because they've called and sent notes over the last couple weeks.

Of course, returning to school means my new found routine is now old hat and I have to start again.  Ah, worse things could happen!  Life is ever changing, and Sara's faster than most.  Its just part of the deal with you have a special needs child.  Things change often, and there is no such thing as status quo.

If Sara is able to get her cast off at her follow-up, and the docs believe its very possible, then we've made it halfway!  And I'm sure we've already survived the hard part...the pain, the swelling, the hospital, the adapting.  Now we just chug along until the 29th arrives and see what happens.  Cross your fingers!  Sara's birthday is just two days after that, and since she got a new hip for Christmas it would seem appropriate that she gets her cast off for her birthday.  Let's hope that's the case!  Probably be the best birthday present she could ask for this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment